Learning to Fly - Training for a 100 Mile Trail Run (while enjoying Pink Floyd)

Successfully completing a 100 mile trail run has been a goal since 1998. Each year I have attempted to run one and have fallen short. As an experiment of one, I'm recording my training and hoping that it will eventually document the successful completion of a 100 mile trailrace.

Sunday, January 14, 2007


2005 seemed like the year that I'd cross the finish line for the first time. The stars aligned, training went well, a talented crew travelled to Loudonville to support and pace me. Although afraid at the start I settled in to a quiet confidence and enjoyed the day. Unfortunately I ran out of steam at 75 miles and called it a run.
In 2006 I was ill prepared for the heat! My feet also hurt. After the water crossing a volunteer noticed my left foot as I changed from the wet shoes and socks I'd worn across the stream into dry pairs that waited for me. Seeing blisters the size of small puffed pastries clinging to my foot he asked if I'd be interested in having a podiatrist examine my foot. Relief! That sounded like relief.
She dried and taped my foot then told me that if I wanted to resolve the problem (I thought it was just blisters) I'd need to see a podiatrist when I returned home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home